Estimated time to 100%: 3 hours
Missable trophies: 8
A Rare Find,
The Great Blue Awaits
Welcome to Monster World!
The Legendary Wonder Boy,
With All One’s Heart Wizard
Glitched trophies: none
Welcome to Wonder Boy in Monster World Trophy Guide! In the fifth episode of the “Wonder Boy Saga”, you will assume the character of Shion, helping him through his adventure.
This game uses the controls for the Sega Genesis controller, so you will have button A, button B, and button C instead of your usual controls:
- Button A and or is used for items or magic.
- Button B is used for attacks with swords or spears ( and Button B: spin attack works only with spears and trident, and Button B: crouched attack).
- Button C is used for jumping.
- is used to enter doors, read signs, speak to people, and take objects.
- is used to exit doors.
There is also an option to reconfigure your controls, making them feel more modern. For the sake of this guide, however, those controls will be referred to as they are originally presented.
- Set controls the way you feel better going in the pause menù and Controls.
- It’s widely recommended to collect all heart upgrades, enchantments, and good types of equipment because there will be sections of this game that can be difficult without enough life and defence.
- Remember that you can save in the Inns, but you can also save manually going in the pause menu and clicking the save option.
- Always use the best equipment you have, if you use a sword you can have a shield too, but you can’t if you use a spear.
- Always buy potions to heal yourself during your journey, but remember you can only carry one at a time.
- Save before a boss fight, unless you are sure to make it out alive.
Proceed to the final boss on your own or better, following the video playthrough below to pick up all the collectables.
Credit to L2Nuku for the video.
Here is a video that shows all the boss battle too if needed:
Credit to Shadowserg for the video.
Proceed to the final boss following the video playthrough posted in the roadmap section of the guide. Play through the game and try to get confident with controls and the various enemies. It’s widely recommended to collect all the heart upgrades, enchantments, and good types of equipment because there will be sections of this game that can be difficult without enough life and defence. You can also do the four miscellaneous trophies, here set in chronological order:
- The Great Blue awaits: Launch the game and let the “SEGA” logo appear and scroll without touching nothing.
- Welcome to Monster World: At the beginning of the game on the right of your house, there will be a sign; read it.
- Have Mercy!: The first inn you can find is in Alsedo, it requires 10 gold. You need to have less gold and ask for rest.
- Renowned Spearman: The first spear you can find is in the Alsedo weapon shop, it will cost 80 gold. After buying it, you need to block 10 enemy attacks with it throughout the game.
You’ll be earning these trophies:
Story related trophies:
Collectables related trophies:
A Rare Find
With All One’s Heart
The Legendary Wonder Boy
Miscellaneous related trophies:
The Great Blue awaits
Welcome to Monster World
Step 2: Cleanup (optional)
Important Note: If you decided to not follow the video guide, keep in mind that you have to collect all heart upgrades before the final boss battle. You will know you are near the end of the game after defeating the Almighty Demon King boss, so when you go out from the boss arena, don’t go left on the elevator but collect all hearts, all enchantments, and all pieces of the legendary equipment too.
However, this stage is useless if you have followed the video guide, but If you didn’t do it before, now it’s time to look at it. Look at the video in the roadmap section because it shows the locations of all the collectables. It should also be noted that there is a chest in the Pyramids where you can find all types of magic except for return.
Here is a table with a description for each on where you can find all collectables required for trophies in chronological order, and timestamps for the video:
|Monster World Sign||At the beginning of the game, after leaving the house on the right.||0:45 to 0:50|
|1st Heart Upgrade||Inside the monster's cave to the right of Alsedo (Ocarina required). MISSABLE if you give the Ocarina for the Amulet's location later.||10:20 to 10:40
|2nd Heart Upgrade||Inside the ruins at the right of Lilypad after rescuing Hotta||22.55 to 24:30
|3rd Heart Upgrade||Inside the sea to the right of Alsedo in a chest (trident required)||32.40 to 33:18
|4th Heart Upgrade||Inside Purapril Castle's underground, a secret door in water (trident required)||35:10 to 35:25
|5th Heart Upgrade||Inside Poseidon's Shrine where you need to deactivate red switches (trident and amulet required)||41:55 to 42:15
|Return Magic||Inside Poseidon's Shrine where you need to deactivate red switches (trident and amulet required)||42:45
|All Other Magic||Inside the Pyramid behind a secret door, there is a chest with all enchantments except for Return||54:55
|6th Heart Upgrade||Inside the Ice Palace in the left tower in a chest guarded by an enemy (Bracelet required)||1:12:55 to 1:12:10
|7th Heart Upgrade||Inside the Volcano in a lava pit with a Flame Snake (pigmy armour set required)||1:21:55 to 1:22:55
|8th Heart Upgrade||Inside the ruins at the right of Lilypad (pigmy armour set and pigmy size required)||1:28:20 to 1:28:35
|9th Heart Upgrade||Inside the Pyramid at the top (pigmy armour set and pigmy size required)||1:33:25 to 1:33:35
|Charmstone||If you don't wanna grind the 500.000 gold, you can find one in the Pyramid at the top (pigmy armour set and pigmy size required)||1:33:40 to 1:34:46
|10th Heart Upgrade||After reaching clouds over Purapril's Castle before the Nightmare Castle, on a cloud (legend sword required)||1:37:00 to 1:37:10
|Legend Boots||Inside Nightmare Castle where there is a mine cart||1:39:20 to 1:39:35
|Legend Armour and 11th Heart Upgrade||Inside Nightmare castle where there is a mine cart, in a secret door that turns you into a pigmy||1:39:40 to 1:41:47
|Legend Shield||Inside Nightmare castle, where there are shooting squids enemies, use quake magic||1:42:15 to 1:42:43
NOTE: You don’t need the enchantments upgrades for the Wizard trophy, but only the basic ones. You also have to use them all at least once in the game to make the trophy pop. It should also be noted that there is a chest in the Pyramids where you can find all types of magic except for return.
During this step you’ll earn these trophies:
A Rare Find
With All One’s Heart
The Legendary Wonder Boy
Finish the game.
This trophy will unlock after defeating the final boss. This is the hardest boss in the game, so be really prepared with full heart upgrades and with full legendary armour.
There are 3 phases of the boss battle:
- In the first phase, the boss is invulnerable and it will shoot at you with a cannon. Here you need to take damage until someone will help you destroy the cannon.
- In the second phase, the boss will spawn one moving laser gun that you can destroy with 2 sword hits, after that, you can hit the boss’ armour and destroy it.
- In the third phase, the boss will spawn two moving laser guns and there will be a treadmill with a saw under your feet that changes directions. Timing is important because you can guard the lasers with your shield, avoid the saw, and then you can hit the boss once.
|The Legendary Wonder Boy
Collect all legendary equipment.
Legendary pieces of equipment are found in the Nightmare Castle near the end of the game, except for the Legendary Sword that is story related.
This is the best equipment you can find in the game and is composed of:
- Legendary Sword – Story related and cannot be missed.
- Legendary Boots – 1:39:35 of the 100% video walkthrough.
- Legendary Armour – 1:41:45 of the 100% video walkthrough.
- Legendary Shield – 1:42:43 of the 100% video walkthrough.
|With All One’s Heart
Collect all the heart containers.
Heart containers are life upgrades that increase to a maximum of 14 hearts. They are in hidden chests all around Monster World. Consult the 100% walkthrough video in the roadmap section or check the table in Step 2 of the guide for additional help with the heart containers.
Important Note: The first heart upgrade is in monster’s cave to the right of Alsedo, here you need the Ocarina to unlock three doors. This heart is MISSABLE if you give it for the Amulet‘s location later in the game.
Use all types of magic.
There are a total of six enchantments in the game and you can find them in chests:
- Fire Storm – Story related, given by the fortune teller at the beginning of the game.
- Thunder – Monster World’s sea near Poseidon’s Shrine.
- Shield – Sold for 200 gold in Drapell’s shop in Lilypad.
- Quake – In Maugham Desert in the same cave where you find the Sun Key.
- Power – Inside the Volcano (but you can obtain it beforehand, in the chest behind the secret door in the Pyramids).
- Return – Inside Poseidon’s Shrine where you need to deactivate red switches.
Note: You don’t need the enchantments upgrades for the trophies, but only the basic ones. You also have to use them all at least once in the game to make the trophy pop. Consult the 100% walkthrough video in the roadmap section or check the table in Step 2 of the guide for additional help with the enchantments. It should also be noted that there is a chest in the Pyramids where you can find all types of magic except for return that you can find it only inside the Poseidon’s Shrine.
You can find Poseidon at the end of Poseidon’s Shrine. To reach it, you will need the trident which you acquire in the Ruins near Lylipad and the Amulet that you find in the sea below Purapril’s Underground Castle. When you find the entrance to the shrine, you need to deactivate some red switches to proceed while you kill enemies and avoid mines. There will be a big fish that shoots little fishes to you at the end, kill it to open the last door and go down to find Poseidon.
Note: To obtain the amulet you’ll need to trade the Ocarina to discover its location. If you do it, make sure to have taken the heart upgrade in the Monster’s cave to the right of Alsedo. Doing this before trading with Ocarina is important, as it will void being able to pick up the aforementioned heart upgrade otherwise.
Meet the Elder Dragon.
After teleporting from the Pyramids, go right and keep an eye to the little enemies that throw spears at you. You will reach Begonia, the dragon village. Here you can find the Elder Dragon in the right bottom room of the village, speak to him to earn this trophy.
Meet the Sphinx.
You will find the Sphinx as a boss battle in the Pyramids, but a peculiar one because there will be no battle. Instead, there will be a quiz game with 5 questions, all of which 4 need be answered correctly to continue.
Sphinx’s questions have been detailed in the table below, as well as the correct answers for her questions.
|How much costs a Charmstone? ||500,000 gold|
|Which item will you receive after defeating Gragg and Glagg? ||Trident|
|What is the name of the dwarfs' village? ||Lilypad|
|Which type of magic do you acquire first?||Fire Storm|
|Which item helped you crossing the Maugham Desert? ||Oasis Boots|
|Which item is not sold at the Wanderer weapon shop? ||Trident|
|Which shop does not sell items? ||Felissimo's shop|
|What opens the Pyramid door? ||Sun Key|
|What is the name of the queen of Alsedo?||Eleanora|
|Welcome to Monster World!
Find the “Welcome to Monster World” sign.
This is an easy trophy but a missable one. After leaving your house at the beginning of the game, just go right and into the next scenario. At this point, you’ll see a sign. Read it with and the trophy will pop.
|A Rare Find
Find the precious Charm Stone.
The charmstone is an item that you can buy in the Sundry Purapril’s shop, but it will cost 500,000 gold. If you decide to go for that, prepare for a huge grind. You can grind gold in Nightmare’s Castle corridors but the easiest way to get it without losing any time is to find it. There is one in the Pyramids, but you need to be a Pigmy to reach it, so proceed in the game until you can transform yourself into it. Once you have become a Pigmy, check the 100% video in the roadmap section of the guide to find it (1:33:40).
When you have it, you can trade it in a hidden shop in Purapril for a heart upgrade or, alternatively if you have two of them (1 found and 1 bought), you can use them for a complete magic upgrades set.
|The Great Blue Awaits
Do not skip the SEGA logo sequence.
This is a missable one. When you start the game, the SEGA logo sequence will appear. Don’t press any buttons and the trophy will pop right after.
Guard against 10 attacks by spinning a spear-type weapon.
This is a missable trophy. To earn it, you will need a spear-type weapon. After acquiring this weapon, press and Button B when an enemy shoots at you. The first opportunity to perform this action will be in Lilypad when you need to rescue Hotta.
Here is a list of all spear-type weapons and their locations:
- Small Spear – Kishera’s shop in Alsedo for 80 gold.
- Trident – Reward after killing Gragg and Glagg in the Ruins near Lilypad.
- Battle Spear – Labyrinth’s shop in Childam for 10,000 gold.
Try staying at an inn without enough gold.
Missable. Inns are saving houses. Here you can rest, heal your wounds, and restore your enchantments with a small cost. You can find an Inn in every city, but the first and the cheapest one is in Alsedo. For this trophy, you need to ask for a rest without having enough gold, so be sure to have less than required and ask to rest. The trophy will pop in no time during the dialogue.
Here’s a list of all the inns with their prices:
- Alsedo – 10 gold.
- Purapril – 15 gold.
- Lilypad – 20 gold.
- Begonia – 30 gold.
- Childam – 50 gold.